Book Review: 12 Shawls in 2012

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Title: 12 Shawls in 2012
Author: Renee Rodgers

Book Review by Kim Guzman (www.KimGuzman.com)



To say this isn't your ordinary book would be an understatement. Renee started on an adventure in November 2011, challenging herself to design, create and write patterns for 12 beautiful crochet lace shawls. Her challenge to herself was to create one each month and she has really out-done herself with these jewels.

Now, I'm not a shawl person. Wearing a shawl never seemed to fit into my lifestyle. But, I discovered that you don't necessarily have to wear a shawl in traditional fashion. You can wear it in more creative ways. I have found that I love to wear a shawl as a scarf, draping down with the points in the front. I also love to wear a triangular shawl, with the center point in the front and the ends hanging around the shoulders. It's so easy to change your look and attitude with a gorgeous shawl. And, with just the right wrapping and just the right shawl pin, a shawl can even be transformed into what appears to be a garment! I've seen them draped and pinned to look like a vest or a poncho, with one side left open at the shoulder.

Now that I've discovered that even a non-shawl person like myself can wear shawls, I really enjoy making them. It's my answer to that doily challenge that lives deep down in my crochet soul. I love doilies. They challenge my skills and are fun to make. But, you can only have so many doilies. I love them and I know so many of you do as well. A lace shawl is my answer to my doily desires. 

And, that's why I know you're going to love this e-book from Renee Rodgers. You'll be able to download all the PDFs for the year and you can even send the patterns to your e-reader and take them on-the-go. You can purchase the patterns individually or altogether as one, your choice! Patterns, a la carte! I love it. 

Because this is an e-book and the patterns are listed individually, there is no true book cover. The photo above is one that I chose because it's my favorite. "Vilano Beach" is the May installment and is made in one of my favorite laceweight yarns, Ivy Brambles Silk. Just gorgeous.




And, imagine my surprise when I was drooling over browsing through this e-book and one of the models is our CGOA President, Amy Shelton! Amy is modeling "Summer Storm", the July installment, made in MadelineTosh Merino Light. Isn't that stunning?!

View all projects in this e-book at CrochetRenee.com.

Full disclosure: A free review copy of 12 Shawls in 2012 was provided by CrochetRenee.com. Although I accept free products for review, I do not accept additional compensation, nor do I guarantee a positive review.  My reviews are based entirely on my honest opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)