CGOA Member Spotlight: BreeAnna Laub

Monday, November 14, 2016

I'm Marie from Underground Crafter and this is the eleventh post in a series of interviews where I highlight the work of a Crochet Guild of America member.

BreeAnna Laub.
This month's post features BreeAnna Laub, the crochet designer and blogger behind String with Style. She is also on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Ravelry, and Twitter.

All images are © BreeAnna Laub/String with Style and are used with permission.

Buffalo Check Obsession Scarf, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
Underground Crafter (UC): How did you first get started crocheting?
BreeAnna: My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was about 10. Her arthritis was getting so bad that she couldn't do it anymore and I showed so much interest that I was gifted all of her yarn, pattern books and hooks! I LOVED it!!! Once I started I didn't stop. I asked for hooks and yarn and patterns for Christmas. My parents thought I was crazy but I loved it and I dreamed of being able to do something with crochet for a living someday.

Vertical Textures Afghan, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
UC: When did you start designing?
BreeAnna: I started designing in 2012.

UC: How long have you been a member of the CGOA? What’s your favorite thing about being a member?
BreeAnna: This is my very first year being a member of the CGOA and I don't know why it took me so long to finally join. It has been a wonderful year. I would say my favorite thing is the connections I've been able to make and the people I've been able to meet because of it.

Granny Stitch Triangle Scarf, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for relaxing?
BreeAnna: For relaxing I like mindless projects. Something with an easy to memorize stitch count pattern that I can just keep going on without stopping to count stitches or change colors. Afghans, scarves, cowls, those types of projects.

Diamond Weave Hat, crochet pattern by String with Style for sale on Ravelry.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for challenging yourself?
BreeAnna: If I want a challenge I usually dive into thread or lace crochet. I also really love more advanced stitches that offer a fun texture or effect.

Cabled Cutie Slouch, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects to give as gifts?
BreeAnna: Right now I would have to say hats and fingerless gloves are my favorite gifts to give.

Star Bright Angled Scarf, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for cold weather?
BreeAnna: I love to work on Afghans in the winter so I can snuggle up under them as I go. I also love to make different scarves, shawls, wraps and hats in the winter. It's like having a whole new outfit when you have a new accessory like that.

Planned Color Pooling Argyle Dishcloths, free crochet pattern by String with Style.
UC: What are you working on in 2016? What's next for you?
BreeAnna: In 2016 I have mostly been working on building my pattern base after my year off. It has been challenging with a 1 year old but I think I'm getting a rhythm down. It has been a fun creative year making a lot of things that have been swimming around in my head and the majority of them are being released over the next few months for this chilly winter we have coming.

As far as what's next, I would really like to step into the video space that has become so popular. I'm working on offering some new things this coming year in 2017 that I think are going to be really fun and also valuable to my friends and followers.

Thanks for sharing your love of crochet with us, BreeAnna!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)